MAQUE CHOUX SKILLET CORNBREAD
- 2 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Pan-Roasted Tomato Butter, recipe follows
- 1 Roma tomato, cut in half
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the bacon to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat and let the fat render out, stirring occasionally, until the edges begin to brown. Toss in the jalapeño, red bell pepper and corn and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt together in a large bowl. Stir in the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter, then the green onions, until combined.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve with tomato butter.
- Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Set the tomato in the hot pan cut-side down. Cook until the tomato softens and is caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Let the tomato cool slightly, then add to a food processor along with the butter and salt. Pulse until combined. Remove the butter with a rubber spatula to a small bowl.
CORN MAQUE CHOUX (FRIED CORN)
I had no idea this dish even had a name until I grew up. We had it any time we had fried chicken, which was often. I love this dish - to me it is comfort food.
Provided by P48422
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb corn kernel (cut from the cob or frozen and thawed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- In the skillet, heat the butter over medium low heat until melted.
- Add the onion and saute until wilted but not brown.
- Add the bell peppers and the corn and stir to coat everything with butter, sprinkle with some salt, pepper, and cayenne, and continue cooking over med-low heat, stirring frequently, until all liquid (if any) completely evaporates, the vegetables start to take on a slight caramalization and the whole room smells really, really good.
- (This should take about 20 minutes).
- Taste, adjust the seasonings if you need to, and serve.
- Note: I say to use a cast iron skillet because, as with cornbread, I believe this dish suffers in flavor if it is not cooked in one.
- However, if you don't have one, you can use another skillet- just know that it would be much better cooked in a cast iron skillet.
TASSO MAQUE CHOUX
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces diced Tasso ham
- 3 cups sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped, peeled and seeded tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the Tasso and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the corn, onions and bell peppers. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Saute for about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the corn is tender. Add the cream, stir, and remove from the heat.
How to make Marinated Beef
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Burnt Orange Campari recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chuck Hughes
Provided by Jody Zavala @joboza
Provided by Milliepoppins
From Time Life's Great Taste Low Fat. Use the Vegetable broth if a meatless dish is desired or use Chicken broth if you want meat.
Provided by That is Dr House to
Provided by Samuel Goldsmith
Provided by Food Network
Sweet potatoes and watercress are both splendid sources of vitamin C; they team up in this quick soup to great effect. As I mention in the ingredient list,...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by Guy Fieri
It's not too often that you find spicy hummus and that's what I was in the mood for. I combined recipes from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spicy-Three-Pepper-Hummus-Allrecipes...
Provided by Naugahyde
Make and share this Baked Turkey Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Tracy Sullivan
Southerners love a good red velvet cake the way they love good, juicy gossip. That's because there's inherent drama in a towering white cake that, beneath...
A great alternative to beef jerky for that vegan in your life. I plan to experiment with different flavor combinations but for now I leave you with my...
Provided by Soup Loving Nicole
Flavour grilled chicken strips with Thai chilli sauce, ginger and honey and serve with broccoli for this speedy meal for two
Provided by Jennifer Joyce
Make and share this White Chili Chicken recipe from Food.com.
Provided by katew
Make and share this Crock Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Kris H
Make and share this Farm Country Vegetable Beef Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
These are a lot more interesting than plain roasted or jacket potatoes. They're perfect to serve with a roast and easy to do. As the potatoes cook the...
Provided by @MakeItYours
People also searched
More about "corn maque choux food"
CORN MAQUE CHOUX : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
5/5 (3)Category Side DishesCuisine CreoleTotal Time 45 mins
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
5/5 (34)Total Time 30 minsCategory Side DishCalories 150 per serving
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add the bacon. Cook the bacon until it becomes nice and crispy, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the corn onion, peppers and Cajun seasonings. Cook until they soften up, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream (or chicken stock). Let it warm for about 2 minutes, stirring a bit, then remove from heat.
MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - SOUTHERN LIVING
5/5 (1)Servings 8Occupation Food And Travel WriterTotal Time 45 mins
CORN MAQUE CHOUX - LOUISIANA COOKIN
EASY CORN MAQUE CHOUX - SOUTHERN BITE
CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | BON APPéTIT - EPICURIOUS
4.5/5 (13)Author Bruce AidellsServings 4
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (3)Category Side-DishAuthor Treva ChadwellDifficulty Easy
CORN AND WHITE BEAN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | THE HEARTY BOYS
Author The Hearty BoysSteps 3Difficulty Easy
KICKED UP CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Author Recipe from Emeril LagasseSteps 4Difficulty 23 min
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX (MOCK SHOE) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CRAWFISH CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - FOOD.COM
MAQUE CHOUX (CAJUN CORN) RECIPE : SBS FOOD
CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
MAQUE CHOUX (CAJUN CORN SAUTEE) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
ROASTED CORN AND PEPPER MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - JOHN CURRENCE
MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - NYT COOKING
CAJUN CORN AND BACON MAQUE CHOUX - ALLRECIPES