GRANDMA'S CANDIED YAMS
Provided by Kardea Brown
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- 4 large yams
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple juice
- 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut off the ends of the yams, then peel and cut the yams into 1/2-inch-thick circles. Add to a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until thoroughly blended. Stir in the pineapple juice, cinnamon, vanilla and cloves. Taste the mixture to make sure it's sweet to your liking and pour over the yams. Spread the strawberry preserves on top of the yams.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the yams are semi-tender, about 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the yams are caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Plate and serve hot. And don't forget to pour the sauce from the baking dish on top!
CLASSIC CANDIED YAMS
With just the right amount of sweetness and spice, these sweet potatoes are cooked on the stovetop until they are tender, freeing up valuable oven space at your holiday meal.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 8 medium), peeled
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup pecans
- Cut the sweet potatoes crosswise into 1-inch-thick rounds. Halve or quarter any extra-large pieces so that they are all similar in size.
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a small bowl. Add the sugar mixture to the Dutch oven and whisk until it forms a paste. Add the potatoes and stir well, spooning the sugar mixture over the potatoes to coat evenly.
- Cover and cook the potatoes, stirring occasionally and gently to avoid breaking them up, until they are just tender when pierced with the tip of a knife and the sauce resembles a thin syrup, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast until dark brown with a light scent of roasted nuts, about 8 minutes. Season the pecans with some salt while warm, let them cool completely and coarsely chop.
- Transfer the potatoes with their sauce to a large serving platter and sprinkle the pecans over the top.
This is a simple and quick way to enjoy a Thanksgiving favorite! Canned yams or sweet potatoes may be used.
Provided by LORIEANN29
Categories Side Dish Vegetables Sweet Potatoes Sweet Potatoes With Marshmallow Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 4
- 1 (29 ounce) can sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium baking dish. Distribute butter pieces evenly over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Layer with miniature marshmallows.
- Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and marshmallows have melted.
Nutrition Facts :
How to make Marinated Beef
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Burnt Orange Campari recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chuck Hughes
Provided by Jody Zavala @joboza
Provided by Milliepoppins
From Time Life's Great Taste Low Fat. Use the Vegetable broth if a meatless dish is desired or use Chicken broth if you want meat.
Provided by That is Dr House to
Provided by Samuel Goldsmith
Provided by Food Network
Sweet potatoes and watercress are both splendid sources of vitamin C; they team up in this quick soup to great effect. As I mention in the ingredient list,...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by Guy Fieri
It's not too often that you find spicy hummus and that's what I was in the mood for. I combined recipes from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spicy-Three-Pepper-Hummus-Allrecipes...
Provided by Naugahyde
Make and share this Baked Turkey Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Tracy Sullivan
Southerners love a good red velvet cake the way they love good, juicy gossip. That's because there's inherent drama in a towering white cake that, beneath...
A great alternative to beef jerky for that vegan in your life. I plan to experiment with different flavor combinations but for now I leave you with my...
Provided by Soup Loving Nicole
Flavour grilled chicken strips with Thai chilli sauce, ginger and honey and serve with broccoli for this speedy meal for two
Provided by Jennifer Joyce
Make and share this White Chili Chicken recipe from Food.com.
Provided by katew
Make and share this Crock Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Kris H
Make and share this Farm Country Vegetable Beef Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
These are a lot more interesting than plain roasted or jacket potatoes. They're perfect to serve with a roast and easy to do. As the potatoes cook the...
Provided by @MakeItYours
People also searched
More about "old fashioned candied yams food"
CANDIED YAMS RECIPE : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
5/5 (1)Total Time 30 minsCategory Sides
SOUL FOOD STYLE BAKED CANDIED YAMS | I HEART RECIPES
5/5 (151)Category Side DishServings 8Total Time 1 hr
SOUTHERN CANDIED YAMS (SOUL FOOD RECIPE) - PINK OWL …
Ratings 94Calories 349 per servingCategory Side Dish
BEST CANDIED YAMS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CANDIED YAMS
CANDIED YAMS RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
CANDIED YAMS RECIPE (SOUTHERN SIDE DISH) | KITCHN
CLASSIC CANDIED YAMS RECIPE - SOUTHERN LIVING
OLD FASHION CANDIED YAMS - COOKING WITH CHEF BRYAN
SOUTHERN CANDIED YAMS RECIPE - WHISK IT REAL GUD
OLD FASHIONED CANDIED THANKSGIVING YAMS - HANDMADE …
CANDIED SWEET POTATOES (ONE POT) | ONE POT RECIPES
CANDIED SWEET POTATOES OR YAMS | OLD-FASHIONED STYLE
OLD FASHIONED CANDIED SWEET POTATOES - SOUTHERN EATS & GOODIES
OLD-FASHIONED CANDIED YAMS - PALATABLE PASTIME
BLACK FOLKS SOUTHERN CANDIED YAMS - THE SOUL FOOD POT
CANDIED YAMS RECIPE | THE BEST SOUTHERN SOUL FOOD SIDE DISH
SOUTHERN STOVE TOP CANDIED YAMS - GARNISH & GLAZE
CANDIED YAMS RECIPE - OLD FASHIONED RECIPES
GRANDMA'S SOUTHERN CANDIED YAMS RECIPE | SWEET TEA & THYME