GRANDMA'S OLD-FASHIONED SWEET RELISH
This is scrumptious. It is my Grandma Florence's, and she called it "Hamburger Relish". Simple and easy, I can it in pints and give it for Christmas. I've never found any as good.
Provided by Gayle M
Yield 11 pints
Number Of Ingredients 10
- 4 quarts ground cucumbers
- 1 quart ground onion
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 5 tablespoons sea salt
- 6 cups vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- Combine cukes, onions, ice and salt.
- Let stand for 2 hours,.
- then drain.
- Mix the next 6 ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, add ground cuke mixture, and cook for 20 minutes, or until it begins to thicken.
- While still hot, seal in sterilized jars.
- As far as preparation time, I use Grandma's old hand grinder, so I'm sure it would be much faster with a motorized food grinder.
SWEET PICKLE RELISH
This chunky relish is great for eating fresh or going into the pantry in the middle of winter cracking open a jar and putting on your hotdogs! Also great to add to macaroni salad!
Provided by cindymartin21502
Number Of Ingredients 10
- 8 cucumbers, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup pickling salt
- cold water to cover
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 3 ½ cups white sugar
- Combine cucumbers, onions, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper in a large bowl; add salt and pour in enough cold water to cover. Allow to soak for 2 hours. Thoroughly drain in a colander.
- Pour vinegar into a large, heavy stainless steel pot; add celery seed and mustard seed. Stir sugar into mixture and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the drained vegetable mixture and return to a boil, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack relish into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a clean knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
Nutrition Facts :
HOMEMADE PICKLE RELISH
Happiness is having a jar of sweet, tart, crunchy relish in the refrigerator. It's a project that easily fits into your culinary repertoire. An easy homemade pickle Relish
Provided by Ian Knauer
Yield Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 5
- 2 cups finely chopped cucumber (about 3 Kirby cucumbers)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
- Toss cucumber and onion with 3/4 teaspoon salt in a sieve set over a bowl and drain 3 hours. Discard liquid from bowl. Wrap cucumber and onion in a kitchen towel (not terry cloth) and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a small heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then boil until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cucumber-onion mixture and simmer, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture, then stir into relish. Simmer, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer relish to a bowl and chill, uncovered, until cold, about 1 1/2 hours.
How to make Marinated Beef
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Burnt Orange Campari recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chuck Hughes
Provided by Jody Zavala @joboza
Provided by Milliepoppins
From Time Life's Great Taste Low Fat. Use the Vegetable broth if a meatless dish is desired or use Chicken broth if you want meat.
Provided by That is Dr House to
Provided by Samuel Goldsmith
Provided by Food Network
Sweet potatoes and watercress are both splendid sources of vitamin C; they team up in this quick soup to great effect. As I mention in the ingredient list,...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by Guy Fieri
It's not too often that you find spicy hummus and that's what I was in the mood for. I combined recipes from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spicy-Three-Pepper-Hummus-Allrecipes...
Provided by Naugahyde
Make and share this Baked Turkey Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Tracy Sullivan
Southerners love a good red velvet cake the way they love good, juicy gossip. That's because there's inherent drama in a towering white cake that, beneath...
A great alternative to beef jerky for that vegan in your life. I plan to experiment with different flavor combinations but for now I leave you with my...
Provided by Soup Loving Nicole
Flavour grilled chicken strips with Thai chilli sauce, ginger and honey and serve with broccoli for this speedy meal for two
Provided by Jennifer Joyce
Make and share this White Chili Chicken recipe from Food.com.
Provided by katew
Make and share this Crock Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Kris H
Make and share this Farm Country Vegetable Beef Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
These are a lot more interesting than plain roasted or jacket potatoes. They're perfect to serve with a roast and easy to do. As the potatoes cook the...
Provided by @MakeItYours
More about "sweet pickle relish food"
HOMEMADE PICKLE RELISH: HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE SWEET RELISH
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- 1. In a large bowl, combine diced cucumber and onion with salt and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature until cucumbers have lost most of their liquid, about 1 hour.
- 2. Using a fine mesh strainer, drain cucumbers and onions and discard liquid. Wrap cucumber and onion mixture in a clean kitchen towel and gently squeeze over the kitchen sink to remove excess liquid.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine drained cucumber and onion mixture with all remaining ingredients, and stir to coat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until onions have softened and liquid has slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat, and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a jar or other airtight container. Relish will keep, refrigerated, about 3 weeks.
SWEET PICKLE RELISH RECIPE - EAT FRESH OR CAN FOR LATER …
- Finely dice the cucumber and onion. **I use my food processor, being careful not to process too long.
- Place diced cucumbers and onions in a non-reactive pot and add the salt. Stir and let sit for 2 hours.
- Drain cucumber and onion mixture in a strainer until all the liquid is removed. You may have to press the mixture against the strainer to remove hidden moisture.
QUICK PICKLE RELISH RECIPE - ONE SWEET APPETITE
FERMENTED SWEET PICKLE RELISH – HEALTH STARTS IN THE …
SWEET PICKLE RELISH RECIPE - SIMPLYCANNING
GREAT USES FOR A GREAT SWEET PICKLE RELISH - FEET UNDER …
10 BEST SWEET PICKLE RELISH CUCUMBERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
BICK'S SQUEEZE SWEET GREEN RELISH 500ML - AMAZON
HEINZ SWEET RELISH SQUEEZE BOTTLE 26 OZ PICKLE HAMBURGER HOT …
PICKLES, RELISH, SWEET CALORIES, CARBS & NUTRITION FACTS | MYFITNESSPAL
WHAT IS RELISH? IT’S NOT JUST PICKLES | SPORKED
DILL PICKLE EGG SALAD RECIPE - PICKLE LOVERS EGG SALAD
SWEET PICKLE RELISH – LEITE'S CULINARIA
SWEET PICKLE RELISH CANNING RECIPE - HAPPY MOTHERING
24 RECIPES FOR SERIOUS PICKLE LOVERS | TASTE OF HOME
SWEET PICKLE RELISH RECIPE (CANNING RECIPE OR REFRIGERATOR)
HOMEMADE PICKLE RELISH RECIPE | KITCHN
SWEET PICKLE RELISH WITH CANNING DIRECTIONS - BAKE ME SOME SUGAR
SWEET PICKLE RELISH RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CANNING SWEET PICKLE RELISH - HARVEST TO TABLE
SWEET PICKLE RELISH - BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
SWEET PICKLE RELISH | JUST A PINCH RECIPES