NEXT LEVEL TIKKA MASALA
Who can resist the combination of smoky tandoor-charred chicken in a delicately spiced tomato-based sauce? Master the tikka masala with our ultimate version
Provided by Barney Desmazery
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 27
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 large pieces ginger
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 400ml Greek yogurt
- pinch chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 small green chilli
- red food colouring (optional)
- 3 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp powdered fenugreek
- ½ tsp powdered paprika
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly bashed
- 1 large piece cinnamon
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 50g ground almonds
- pinch soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- 680ml passata
- 100ml crème fraîche or double cream
- fresh coriander leaves, flaked almonds, garam masala and smoked salt (optional), to serve
- Remove the skin from the chicken and slash each thigh two or three times. Put into a bowl or plastic container and toss with the lime juice and ½ tsp salt. Set aside while you make the marinade.
- In a small food processor, blitz the ginger and garlic to make a paste, adding a splash of water if needed. Set aside half of the paste for the sauce. Tip the remaining marinade ingredients into the food processor, then blitz to a smooth paste. Pour the paste over the chicken and marinate for at least 4 hrs (overnight or 24 hrs is even better).
- To make the sauce, heat 2 tbsp of the ghee or butter in a large shallow pan with a lid. Cook the onions for 15 mins over a medium heat until starting to brown. Add the spices and remaining garlic and ginger paste, and cook for 2 mins. Stir in the tomato purée, ground almonds, a pinch of sugar and vinegar. Cook for about 1 min. Pour in the passata, then fill the jar or carton halfway up with water and add this too. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook for 2-3 hrs until you have a thick, red sauce. Can be kept chilled in the fridge for up to 48 hrs while you marinate the chicken.
- Set the grill to its highest setting. Lift the chicken from the marinade, wiping off any excess back into the dish and reserve for the sauce. Arrange the chicken on a large baking tray cut-side up. Put under the grill for 10-15 mins until charred and starting to blacken. Remove the tray from the oven and set aside with the cooking juices. Reheat the sauce, adding the reserved marinade, then tip the chicken and any pan juices with the crème fraîche or cream into the curry sauce. Cook for 40 mins until the chicken is completely tender. Stir the remaining butter or ghee in at the end.
- Leave the curry to sit for a few mins, then season with the garam masala and smoked salt, if using. Sprinkle with coriander and flaked almonds, then serve with naan bread and rice, if you like.
Nutrition Facts :
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA
This takeaway favourite is freezer-friendly and quick to reheat, giving you the chance to get ahead and save money.
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 12
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g butter
- 4 onions, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp chicken tikka masala paste (use shop-bought or make your own - see recipe, below)
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 2-3 tbsp mango chutney
- 150ml double cream
- 150ml natural yogurt
- chopped coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a large, lidded casserole on the hob, then add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook for 15-20 mins until soft and golden.
- Add the tikka masala paste and peppers, then cook for 5 mins more to cook out the rawness of the spices.
- Add the chicken breasts and stir well to coat in the paste. Cook for 2 mins, then tip in the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and 200ml water. Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the lid, stir through the mango chutney, double cream and natural yogurt, then gently warm through. Season, then set aside whatever you want to freeze. Will keep, in an airtight container, in the freezer for up to three months. Scatter the rest with coriander leaves and serve with basmati rice and naan bread.
Nutrition Facts :
How to make Marinated Beef
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Burnt Orange Campari recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chuck Hughes
Provided by Jody Zavala @joboza
Provided by Milliepoppins
From Time Life's Great Taste Low Fat. Use the Vegetable broth if a meatless dish is desired or use Chicken broth if you want meat.
Provided by That is Dr House to
Provided by Samuel Goldsmith
Provided by Food Network
Sweet potatoes and watercress are both splendid sources of vitamin C; they team up in this quick soup to great effect. As I mention in the ingredient list,...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by Guy Fieri
It's not too often that you find spicy hummus and that's what I was in the mood for. I combined recipes from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spicy-Three-Pepper-Hummus-Allrecipes...
Provided by Naugahyde
Make and share this Baked Turkey Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Tracy Sullivan
Southerners love a good red velvet cake the way they love good, juicy gossip. That's because there's inherent drama in a towering white cake that, beneath...
A great alternative to beef jerky for that vegan in your life. I plan to experiment with different flavor combinations but for now I leave you with my...
Provided by Soup Loving Nicole
Flavour grilled chicken strips with Thai chilli sauce, ginger and honey and serve with broccoli for this speedy meal for two
Provided by Jennifer Joyce
Make and share this White Chili Chicken recipe from Food.com.
Provided by katew
Make and share this Crock Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Kris H
Make and share this Farm Country Vegetable Beef Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
These are a lot more interesting than plain roasted or jacket potatoes. They're perfect to serve with a roast and easy to do. As the potatoes cook the...
Provided by @MakeItYours
People also searched
More about "the best chicken tikka masala food"
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Author Tandoori OvenSteps 5Difficulty Intermediate
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA | RECIPETIN EATS
MADHUR JAFFREY'S CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA | AUTUMN FOOD …
THE BEST CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA - JUST A TASTE
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA - ONCE UPON A CHEF
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA - CAFE DELITES
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA RESTAURANT STYLE RECIPE | THE …
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA - THE DARING GOURMET
EASY CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA - DAMN DELICIOUS
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA RECIPE - GRACE PARISI
4/5 Total Time 9 hrs 30 minsAuthor Grace Parisi
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cayenne and turmeric. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a sharp knife, make a few shallow slashes in each piece of chicken. Add the chicken to the marinade, turn to coat and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack about 8 inches from the heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade; scrape off as much of the marinade as possible. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and spread the pieces on a baking sheet. Broil the chicken, turning once or twice, until just cooked through and browned in spots, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut it into 2-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add the almonds and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer the almonds to a plate and let cool completely. In a food processor, pulse the almonds until finely ground.
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4.2/5 Estimated Reading Time 7 minsServings 6
- Combine garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk yogurt, salt, and half of spice mixture in a medium bowl; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and chill 4-6 hours. Cover and chill remaining spice mixture.
- Heat ghee in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, cardamom, and chiles and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste has darkened and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining half of spice mixture and cook, stirring often, until bottom of pot begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices, crushing them with your hands as you add them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, until sauce thickens, 8-10 minutes.
- Add cream and chopped cilantro. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 30-40 minutes.
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA RECIPE | MANEET CHAUHAN | FOOD NETWORK
Author Maneet ChauhanSteps 5Difficulty Easy
THE BEST CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
4.8/5 (18)Total Time 4 hrs 55 minsCategory EntreeCalories 1045 per serving
15 HOW TO SEASON CHICKEN FOR TIKKA MASALA - SELECTED RECIPES
[HOMEMADE] CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA : R/FOOD - REDDIT
BEST CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ULTIMATE …
BEST CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA (RICH & CREAMY SAUCE) - SAVORY TOOTH
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA (SO EASY!) - SIMPLY RECIPES
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA - THE CAREFREE KITCHEN
5 BEST SIDE DISH IDEAS FOR YOUR CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA
CREAMY CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA | FLIPBOARD
BEST EVER CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA | CANADIAN LIVING
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN THIGH RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD