SLAB APPLE PIE WITH LATTICE CRUST
Provided by Food Network
Yield 18 to 20 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- 5 1/2 pounds baking apples, such as Northern Spy, Baldwin, Jonagold, Rome Beauty, Granny Smith and Suncrisp
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 batches All-Butter Easy Pie Dough, recipe follows
- 1 egg whisked with 2 tablespoons water, for egg wash
- Sanding sugar or turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour, cold
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt
- 1 tablespoon (11 grams) sugar
- 1 cup (225 grams) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled in the freezer for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) ice water
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) lemon juice
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/4-inch slices. Toss the slices in a bowl with the lemon juice and zest to keep them from browning. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle this over the apples and toss until the fruit is evenly coated.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add the apple mixture and saute for 5 minutes. Add the cream and vanilla and continue to cook the apples, stirring often, until the juices thicken and the apples are just tender, 5 to 10 minutes more (see Cook's Note). Set aside to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Roll out one-third of the tripled pie dough into a large (about 14-by-19-inch) rectangle. Wrap the dough loosely around the rolling pin and transfer it to a half-sheet pan, gently pressing it into the edges and corners of the pan. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork, then refrigerate.
- Roll the remaining two batches of dough into one large, rough 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Slice into lattice strips. (You can cut them all even thickness or alternate between thick and thin strips. I cut 1 1/4-inch strips and 1/2-inch strips.) Gather any dough scraps, wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Build the lattice on a sheet of parchment set on the back side of a half-sheet pan sprinkled with flour. Start by laying strips crosswise about 1/2 inch apart. Gently fold every other strip halfway over. Place a strip lengthwise on the parchment and fold the shorter strips back over. Fold up the opposite strips you just used and place another strip lengthwise; fold the short strips back over. Repeat on both sides until you have a basket weave pattern. Roll out any remaining dough scraps and use cookie cutters to cut leaf or flower shapes. Place the lattice and sheet pan in the freezer while the filling cools.
- Assembly: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon the cooled filling onto the bottom crust in an even layer. Slide the chilled lattice top onto the bottom crust, using the parchment to help. With a sharp knife, cut the lattice flush with the edges of the pan. Use egg wash to adhere any cut-outs to the top of the pie. Brush egg wash over the crust and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until the filling is bubbling in the center and the top and bottom crusts are golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, pulse together the flour, salt, sugar and butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal with some pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ice water and the lemon juice. Slowly add the liquid to the flour mixture, pulsing, until the dough just comes together. Squeeze a small piece of dough between your thumb and index finger to make sure it holds its shape.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently turn it over each a few times so that any dry bits are incorporated. Form into a disk or rectangle, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Adapted from "Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented" by Gesine Bullock-Prado © Stewart, Tabori & Chang 2012. Provided courtesy of Gesine Bullock-Prado. All rights reserved.
VERMONT APPLE PIE
Make and share this Vermont Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Tobago Cay
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- 8 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- pie crust
- Mix apples with 1/4 cup melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and 2/3 cup maple syrup (I use real Vermont syrup but Log Cabin or other brand would be fine).
- Place mixture in pie crust.
- Combine sugar, flour and softened butter.
- With a pastry blender, two forks or your fingers, mix until crumbly.
- Top apples with crumb mix.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook for 45 minutes.
- Tip: You may need to drain some of the liquid off 5 minutes before it's done.
How to make Marinated Beef
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Burnt Orange Campari recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chuck Hughes
Provided by Jody Zavala @joboza
Provided by Milliepoppins
From Time Life's Great Taste Low Fat. Use the Vegetable broth if a meatless dish is desired or use Chicken broth if you want meat.
Provided by That is Dr House to
Provided by Samuel Goldsmith
Provided by Food Network
Sweet potatoes and watercress are both splendid sources of vitamin C; they team up in this quick soup to great effect. As I mention in the ingredient list,...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by Guy Fieri
It's not too often that you find spicy hummus and that's what I was in the mood for. I combined recipes from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spicy-Three-Pepper-Hummus-Allrecipes...
Provided by Naugahyde
Make and share this Baked Turkey Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Tracy Sullivan
Southerners love a good red velvet cake the way they love good, juicy gossip. That's because there's inherent drama in a towering white cake that, beneath...
A great alternative to beef jerky for that vegan in your life. I plan to experiment with different flavor combinations but for now I leave you with my...
Provided by Soup Loving Nicole
Flavour grilled chicken strips with Thai chilli sauce, ginger and honey and serve with broccoli for this speedy meal for two
Provided by Jennifer Joyce
Make and share this White Chili Chicken recipe from Food.com.
Provided by katew
Make and share this Crock Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Kris H
Make and share this Farm Country Vegetable Beef Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
These are a lot more interesting than plain roasted or jacket potatoes. They're perfect to serve with a roast and easy to do. As the potatoes cook the...
Provided by @MakeItYours
People also searched
More about "vermont apple pie food"
APPLE PIE WITH VERMONT CHEDDAR CHEESE - NEW …
Servings 1Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
VERMONT APPLE PIE - ELLEN ECKER OGDEN
Servings 1Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
GREEN MOUNTAIN GRUB: THE BEST THINGS TO EAT IN VERMONT
VERMONT APPLE PIE BAKERY | PROCTORSVILLE VT - FACEBOOK
HERE ARE THE 15 BEST PLACES TO GET A HOMEMADE APPLE …
APPLE PIE WITH CRèME FRAîCHE - VERMONT CREAMERY
15 PLACES IN VERMONT WHERE YOU CAN GET THE BEST PIE
APPLE SLAB PIE - VERMONT CREAMERY
GOOD FOOD! - REVIEW OF VERMONT APPLE PIE BAKERY, PROCTORSVILLE, …
ALLENHOLM FARM STORE | RESTAURANTS - FOOD NETWORK
VERMONT APPLE PIE BAKERY - TRIPADVISOR
THE MOST POPULAR AND DELICIOUS VERMONT FOODS - TWO SISTERS …
VERMONT APPLE PIE BAKERY, PROCTORSVILLE - RESTAURANT REVIEWS, …
VERMONT APPLE PIE – FARMHOUSE POTTERY
THE VERMONT APPLE PIE RESTAURANT IS AS ALL AMERICAN AS IT GETS
VERMONT’S WEIRD APPLE PIE LAW | 12 TOMATOES
VERMONT MAPLE AND APPLE PIE | RECIPES | VERMONT MAPLEWORKS
VERMONT APPLE SLAB PIE - FRAMED COOKS
VERMONT APPLE PIE | EDIBLE VERMONT
VERMONT STATE PIE | APPLE PIE